Saturday, July 17, 2010

Pasties

Here's an epilogue of sorts for the field school. As soon as I arrived back in Minnesota, I had the fortune to be invited to a potluck. I made pasties, as a way to share something that I had been introduced to in Wisconsin. I thought the pasty I had in Mineral Point was mushy and bland, and after Paul mentioned to me that making them was not difficult, I wanted to give it a shot. Sure, mine contained potatoes. But also: seitan, parsnips, carrots, fennel! They were outstanding and garnered many compliments. Here's how they looked straight out of the oven:
And here's how they looked as they were being eaten and enjoyed:
The evidence doesn't lie: these were awesome pasties. And we didn't consume them uncritically: they allowed us ample opportunity to discuss the constructedness of Mineral Point's Cornish historical narrative.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jonathon! Can I have your recipe? We have been trying out various ways to make pasty up here in the UP (where the Cornish also brought their pasty traditions) and mostly ours get too mushy. Also, we want to fill ours with lamb curry.... Mmmmm... But your crust looks lovely and I'd love your advice. Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete